How to Spot Fake Olive Oil From a Mile Away
If you’ve been a part of the great oil debate, you’ll know there are so many opinions about which oil is the healthiest to cook with. In the Mediterranean, it’s no: Olive Oil trumps all, and there’s good reason, too! But there’s a few things you need to know about buying olive oil in the USA, before you race off to your grocery store.
Olive Oil Health Benefits
- Heart-healthy fat. Olive oil belongs to a category of fats called monounsaturated fats. These have been proven to keep your arteries healthy, even as you and your heart age.
- Prevent strokes. Scientists have discovered that olive oil alone can reduce the risk of stroke caused by a clogged artery by over 70%!
- Keep your bones healthy. Research has found that olive oil helps fight against osteoporosis. This is especially important for menopausal and post-menopausal women who have the greatest risk for losing bone density. That’s why women in their 40’s and 50’s should start cooking with olive oil (if they’re not already), to help prevent bone loss when their hormones change.
- Reduce risk of. Eating lots of olive oil is better at preventing diabetes than a low-fat diet! How? Olive oil can help control blood sugar levels and reduce insulin resistance.
- Promote mental health! A high consumption of olive oil is associated with a lower risk of depression. (This isn’t the only example of how your diet directly affects mental health).
But what if the oil you bought wasn’t giving you all of these amazing health benefits? What if you thought you were cooking with olive oil, but you were filling your body with something else entirely?